How to Know When to Refer to a Specialist: #1 Tip for New Grad NPsFeb 04, 2020
A major stressor for new nurse practitioners is whether or not they are referring out too much from primary care to specialists. It's a challenging part of the role transition from RN to NP to get a handle on what belongs to primary care and what should be seen in primary care.
As a new nurse practitioner, it's super normal to be asking questions like: When should you refer to a specialist? Are there other tests you could do first? Should you wait it out? At what point can you be sure?
This episode is a must-watch for all new grad nurse practitioners and nurse practitioner students!
When to Refer to a Specialist from Primary Care
In this video is my NUMBER ONE strategy to help you:
- Feel more confident with your referrals
- Deepen and broaden your knowledge base
- Take excellent care of your patients
- The step-by-step to do it and pitfalls to avoid (that I made...)
Any guesses? Check it out below 👇
(FYI: to slow down the audio speed, hit the gear symbol in the bottom right corner and change it to .75x or .5x. Closed captions are also located at the bottom R hand corner of the video.)
🎉 CME opportunity available for this video!
Here's how it works:
1. Click on this CME link: https://earnc.me/Iopeao Sign up for $10 for this video episode.
2. Answer 2 reflective “nudges” AKA questions about what you learned and how it applies to your practice
3. Earn 1 hour of AMA PRA Category 1 CME credit! You can download your credits when you’re ready to use them (applicable for AANP, ANCC, and NCCPA certifications!)
This is a 3-month pilot program to see if this is something that would serve our nurse practitioners and physician associates going forward! To learn more about how you can access these CME opportunities, go to: https://info.cmefy.com
The CME experience for The Real World NP Podcast, Youtube Channel, and Blog posts is powered by CMEfy - a seamless way for busy clinician learners to discover Internet Point-of-Care Learning opportunities that reward AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s).™ Learn more at http://about.cmefy.com/cme-info
Accessibility Matters: Read the full transcript HERE