Heart Failure Management In Primary CareSep 13, 2022
⭐️ CME Opportunity for this video below ⭐️
Heart failure is, without a doubt, one of the more complex topics that you will encounter in primary care. Even some season practitioners stumble with this subject. Two types, four stages, four classes, evolving guidelines for treatment, and a host of medications – it’s a lot to wrap your head around. Especially in a 15-minute visit, and even more so when you are meeting a patient for the first time.
Where to start, and where to go once you get there?
Let’s talk about the core concepts of heart failure and increase your confidence. We’ll cover:
- The two types of heart failure, and how the different types impact the approach to treatment
- Diagnostics – which labs, which tests, and the crucial role of ejection fraction in heart failure
- The questions you don’t want to forget to ask the patient
- Medications used to treat heart failure
- What to look for in the chart BEFORE the first visit
Don’t worry if you feel over your head with those first heart failure patients. Like so many other things with primary care, managing heart failure does get less stressful with time. But until then, having a strategy will increase your efficiency in the visit, your confidence on the subject, and give you clarity about co-managing with cardiology.
(FYI: to slow down the audio speed, hit the gear symbol in the bottom right corner and change it to .75x or .5x. Closed captions are also located at the bottom R corner of the video.)
🎉 CME opportunity available for this video!
Here's how it works:
1. Click on this CME link: https://earnc.me/8xHjT8 Sign up for $10 for this video episode.
2. Answer 2 reflective “nudges” AKA questions about what you learned and how it applies to your practice
3. Earn 1 hour of AMA PRA Category 1 CME credit! You can download your credits when you’re ready to use them (applicable for AANP, ANCC, and NCCPA certifications!)
This is a 3-month pilot program to see if this is something that would serve our nurse practitioners and physician associates going forward! To learn more about how you can access these CME opportunities, go to: https://info.cmefy.com
The CME experience for The Real World NP Podcast, Youtube Channel, and Blog posts is powered by CMEfy - a seamless way for busy clinician learners to discover Internet Point-of-Care Learning opportunities that reward AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s).™ Learn more at http://about.cmefy.com/cme-info
If you liked this post, also check out:
- Resistant Hypertension - Part 1
- Resistant Hypertension for Nurse Practitioners - Part 2
- Medical Decision Making and Referral for New Nurse Practitioners