Pap Screening in Primary CareAug 02, 2022
⭐️ CME Opportunity for this video below ⭐️
Pap screening in primary care-- how can such a common primary care intervention cause so much confusion? How often to screen, how to understand any findings that are not black and white, how to advise your patient about next steps – you would not be the first NP to feel overwhelmed with abnormal pap results in your inbox.
How to Interpret and Manage Abnormal Pap Results
Like so many other things in healthcare, the results – even when normal – can quickly become a confusing alphabet soup of abbreviations. Did you know that there isn’t even one universal definition of normal when it comes to pap results? It depends on the patient, their age, any co-testing you did, and more. Like a test in nursing school, there is never a YES/NO answer.
This week, we’ll take some of the mystery out of this challenging clinical topic, and help you understand the main points that will guide your treatment. We’ll talk about:
- Current guidelines, and how they apply to your patient (and our favorite plug-and-play tool to make interpreting pap results super easy!)
- The role of HPV in understanding pap results
- Next steps for the patient with an abnormal pap result
- Colposcopies, LEEPs, advanced sampling – what they are and how to explain them to your patient
- Pro tips for interpreting results and guiding your patient
It’s true that even seasoned providers get stumped trying to navigate abnormal pap results. With time, practice, and a few tools in your toolbox, you will get more clarity on interpreting abnormal pap results and knowing the right next steps for your patient.
(FYI: to slow down the audio speed, hit the gear symbol in the bottom right corner and change it to .75x or .5x. Closed captions are also located at the bottom R corner of the video.)
Accessibility Matters: Read The Transcript Here
🎉 CME opportunity available for this video!
Here's how it works:
1. Click on this CME link: https://earnc.me/hLt1IU Sign up for $10 for this video episode.
2. Answer 2 reflective “nudges” AKA questions about what you learned and how it applies to your practice
3. Earn 1 hour of AMA PRA Category 1 CME credit! You can download your credits when you’re ready to use them (applicable for AANP, ANCC, and NCCPA certifications!)
This is a 3-month pilot program to see if this is something that would serve our nurse practitioners and physician associates going forward! To learn more about how you can access these CME opportunities, go to: https://info.cmefy.com
The CME experience for The Real World NP Podcast, Youtube Channel, and Blog posts is powered by CMEfy - a seamless way for busy clinician learners to discover Internet Point-of-Care Learning opportunities that reward AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s).™ Learn more at http://about.cmefy.com/cme-info
If you liked this post, also check out:
SUPPORT & EDUCATION, WITHOUT THE FLUFF
Get these weekly video & podcast episodes delivered to your inbox.
Becoming a skillful NP is a marathon, not a sprint. The Real World NP team is here to help guide you and support you along the way, with relevant, concise weekly bite-sized clinical pearls & practice tips.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.